Portugal part ways with coach Roberto Martinez after World Cup exit

Short overview
Portugal have confirmed the departure of coach Roberto Martinez following their last-16 loss to Spain at the World Cup. Martinez, who led Portugal to the 2025 Nations League title, said his contract ended after failing to win the tournament.
The Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) has confirmed the departure of national team coach Roberto Martinez, following Portugal's 1-0 loss to Spain in the round of 16 at the World Cup. Martinez, 52, had previously announced he would leave the role he had held since January 2023.
World Cup campaign ends in disappointment
Portugal finished second in their World Cup group, drawing with Colombia and DR Congo and beating Uzbekistan 5-0. They defeated Croatia in the round of 32 before Monday's tournament exit against Spain. Martinez's side had also exited Euro 2024 at the quarter-final stage, losing to France on penalties.
Despite winning the UEFA Nations League in 2025, Martinez faced criticism for his consistent selection of 41-year-old forward Cristiano Ronaldo. BBC pundit Chris Sutton accused the Spaniard of "pandering" to Ronaldo during the past two global tournaments.
FPF statement and Martinez's comments
"The Portuguese Football Federation announces that it officially ended its contractual relationship with the national team coach, Roberto Martinez, and his coaching staff this Wednesday," the FPF said in a statement.
Speaking after the loss to Spain, Martinez said: "I came to Portugal with the objective of winning the World Cup and because I haven't won it wouldn't make sense to continue. My contract ends today."
The FPF stated it had already begun the search for a successor "with the aim of continuing to promote the ambition and winning culture" within the national team set-up.
Mexico appoints Rafael Marquez as head coach
In other coaching news, former Mexico defender Rafael Marquez has been promoted from assistant to take over from Javier Aguirre as national team coach. Aguirre, 67, ends his third spell in charge of Mexico after the World Cup co-hosts were knocked out by England in the round of 16.
Marquez, who has been on Aguirre's coaching staff since 2024, played in five World Cups for Mexico between 2002 and 2018. The Mexican Football Federation announced the changes on X, saying of the 47-year-old Marquez, the country's fourth-highest capped player: "A historic legacy in the World Cup and ready to keep writing his story. Rafa Marquez, our leader on the field and now from the bench."
On Aguirre it said: "Our recognition for you, Javier. Thank you. Javier Aguirre's legacy will remain forever in our history."
More on these topics
England Women U20s squad named amid Fifa boycott threat
England Women U20s head coach Lydia Bedford has named her 21-player squad for the Fifa U20s Women's World Cup in Poland, amid threats of a European boycott over the controversial Fifa Forward Enterprise proposal. The tournament runs from 5 to 27 September.

Senegal's Ndiaye: From Bundesliga Debut to World Cup Stage
Bara Sapoko Ndiaye, an 18-year-old midfielder, made his FIFA World Cup debut for Senegal in 2026 after a rapid rise from Bayern Munich's youth setup. His journey highlights a new generation of Senegalese talent poised to lead the national team.

Maracanã Stadium: History, Great Matches and Capacity
The Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro, home to Flamengo and Fluminense, has hosted two FIFA World Cup finals and will stage the 2027 Women's World Cup final. Explore its history, capacity, and memorable matches.

Most Common Scores in FIFA World Cup History
A statistical breakdown reveals the most frequent scorelines in FIFA World Cup history, with 1-0 leading at 197 occurrences. The 1,068 matches have produced 34 different final scores, highlighting the tournament's competitive balance.

